- 1 cup water
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 bag baby carrots or one pound regular carrots peeled and chopped into 2-inch lengths
- 3 slices cooked bacon, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 two-pound chuck roast (or larger)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or bacon fat
Season the roast with salt and pepper.
Warm fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides (about 5 minutes on each side).
NOTE: You can also chop the raw bacon, cook it about half way, then add the beef to brown in the rendered bacon fat while the bacon finishes cooking.
Place half of the onion, carrots, and water in the crock pot.
Place browned roast on top of the vegetables.
Spoon the remainder of the carrots and onions on top of roast so “the carrot and onion goodness flavors the top of the meat. Good stuff.” (This is a direct quote from Rob!)
Cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is falling-apart tender.
Transfer to a serving plate and serve family style.