- 1 lb nitrate-free, bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tsp (2 cloves) minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Toppings and Garnish
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 – 1 cup caramelized onions
- large lettuce leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt coconut oil in a large, rimmed baking dish. Add butternut squash and toss gently to coat.
Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
Process in a food processor until pureed.
NOTE: This can all be done in advance. Try to get it done the night before or morning of the meal to simplify your life.
While squash is cooking, preheat grill to medium high. Mix sausage and ground beef in a large bowl until they are well combined.
Add garlic, onion, red pepper, egg, and red pepper flakes. Stir with a spoon or use your hands to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide mixture into 6 patties. Drizzle each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill burgers to your desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes on each side.
To serve, divide lettuce leaves evenly among plates. Top with a burger. Spoon pureed squash on top and then add caramelized onions. Serves 6 person.