- 2 pound grass fed beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup coconut aminos*
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar*
- 5 nickel-size slices ginger (peeling is not necessary)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 star anise
- 1 head red cabbage, core removed and cut into about 16 large pieces
- 1 leek, sliced (green tips discarded)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- *Or replace both with a total of 1/2 cup coconut aminos.
Combine water, aminos, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and anise in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Warm coconut oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
Season both sides of roast generously with salt and pepper.
Place roast in the skillet and brown, without moving the roast, for 5 minutes or until a nice crust forms.
Use tongs to flip the roast and continue to brown for about 5 more minutes.
Layer cabbage on the bottom of the crock pot.
Place roast on top and then scatter leeks over the roast.
Pour aminos mixture over the top.
Cook for 8 hours on low or until roast is tender.