- 1.5-2lbs ground elk (beef is just as great! I don’t discriminate!)
- 1 small/medium mini pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14) oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14) oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken/beef/vegetable broth
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (found in can in the Ethnic section at store)*
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips (optional-but smart)
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fat, I used olive oil
Pull out a large soup pot or saucepan and place under medium-high heat. Add olive oil and minced garlic. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add your bell pepper and onion. Mix to combine and let cook down.
Now add your venison to begin to cook down.
Once the beef is halfway cooked (only about 3-4 minutes) add your tomatoes, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, broth, spices, and diced pumpkin. Mix thoroughly.
Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until pumpkin is cooked through. When the beef is cooked, taste to see if the spices are how you like them. This is when I added just a bit of honey to offset the chipotle peppers, but it’s totally up to you!!