- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 large carrot (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini squash, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs, fried or poached
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced thin and sweated on paper towels
- 1 small head lettuce, cleaned and separated
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 small handful of basil leaves, washed and cut into thin ribbons or “chiffonade”
Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute 5-10 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
Preheat grill to medium high.
Add ground beef and egg to the cooled mixture and use your hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Be careful not to compact the mixture too much.
Form mixture into 6 patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Grill burgers to your desired degree of doneness.
To serve, distribute lettuce leaves evenly among plates. Top each with a burger. Layer onion, tomato, egg, and basil on top of each burger. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.