- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 15oz cans pumpkin
- 1/2 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 bottle beer (your favorite gluten-free variety)
- 2 15 oz cans organic diced tomatoes, 1 sm can organic tomato paste
- 2 red peppers, 1 jalapeno pepper, 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Chili spice mixture (see instructions)
Chili Spice Mixture
- 2 T chipotle chili powder
- 2 T cumin
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 t sea salt
- 2 t coriander
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 t cocoa powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t cayenne
Mix 3 tbsp pumpkin, yogurt to taste in a bowl (touch of chipolte adobo sauce optional); cover and chill. (Sklp this to keep dairy-free)
Sauté the bacon until it begins to brown.
Add the onions, peppers, garlic and cook until tender ~ about 5 mins.
Add the ground meat to the pot, stir well & simmer ~ about 10 mins.
Add the spices; stir well & simmer ~ about 10 mins.
Slowly stir in the beer & simmer ~ about 10 mins. (I used a pale ale)
(Use beef broth or water instead if you don’t like to cook with beer)
*** At this point I transferred to crock pot since I didn’t have a big enough pot ***
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, & pumpkin; cook on low in crock pot for 3-4 hours.
If using a big stock pot, simmer on low for 60 mins, stirring frequently.
Ladle the chili into bowls; top with the pumpkin cream & whatever else ya like!