- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds peeled diced butternut squash (I found organic diced butternut at Costco, ready to go! Hooray!)
- 4 apples, diced (I used up some gala apples that were getting a little “old”.)
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts rinsed, halved, and sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock (I used a carton of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free-Range Chicken Broth.)
- 3 tablespoons FRESH ginger, diced (NO skimping on this – dried, ground ginger just will not cut it.)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
- raw, unfiltered, local honey (optional)
Melt coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute leek for about 1 minute, or until slightly softened. Add apples and squash and cook for about 4 minutes. Add chicken broth, ginger, sage and nutmeg. Cover, bring heat down to a simmer, and allow soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
Puree ingredients with an immersion/wand blender. Taste and add salt as desired. Pour into bowls and drizzle with honey, if desired.
With ginger for an upset stomach and honey for a sore throat, this is the perfect “feel better” soup for your menu!