- 1lb organic pulled pork
- 3 roasted plantains (sliced lengthwise)
- 3 cups bone broth or stock
- 1 tbsp each of coconut and red palm oil
- Sofrito (diced carrot, onion, celery, and garlic)
- ~3 cups pure water
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 avocado (diced for topping)
- Hot sauce (optional but not really)
In a large pot, melt coconut and palm oil over medium-low heat. Add your sofrito, stirring frequently while it cooks. When the aromatics have cooked down and are nice and soft, add your broth, water, plantains and meat.
Bring the soup up to a boil and skim off any foam (failing to do this may result in an “off” taste for some complex scientific reason).
Reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow the soup to cook partially covered ~30 minute.
Season to taste and serve with sliced avocado and hot sauce on top (I’m particularly fond of sauces made from scotch bonnets but Cholula or Sriracha would pass muster as well.)