|Top 10 Crimes Against Your Body|
People have been pushing the limits of the human body since the beginning of time. Body piercing, tattoos, ear stretching, and more were used in ancient cultures as a rite of passage, to express spiritual beliefs and, often, to display varying cultural ideals of beauty.
In the modern world, body modification is still popular, though not without risk.
Most dyes used in tattooing are not approved for cosmetic purposes and were produced for industrial uses such as car paint, for instance. Body piercing can also cause problems depending on the type of metal used and the location of the piercing.
What are the top 10 things people do to their bodies that they probably shouldn’t? This LiveScience article has detailed the top 10:
10. Toe Shortening: The surgery involves removing part of the toe bone, can cost up to $10,000 and can lead to arthritis.
9. Laser Hair Removal: The treatment disables hair follicles and can lead to scarring if not properly done. Plus, it doesn’t remove all the hair, and it might only last for a couple of years.
8. Body Piercing: Piercing delicate places like nipples, genitals or your tongue can interfere with breastfeeding, increase the risk of spreading STDs, and chip your teeth, respectively.
7. Grills: The metal jewelry worn across your teeth costs thousands of dollars and can accelerate tooth and gum decay.
6. Permanent Makeup: Tattooing makeup on your face may be generally safe, assuming the fashion world and your taste won’t change in the next 50 years.
5. Bariatric Surgery: Over 40 percent of these surgeries result in major complications within six months, such as diarrhea or hernia.
4. Skin Whitening: Some topical whiteners contain mercury, which causes nerve and kidney damage. Others contain hydroquinone, a carcinogen banned in Europe that blotches your skin.
3. Botox: Botox, which paralyzes your facial muscles to rid you of wrinkles, can cause respiratory failure and death.
2. Penis Enhancement: The surgery carries an extreme risk of deformity and loss of sensitivity, which is why no reputable surgery will perform it on a healthy penis.
1. Liposuction: Liposuction removes only about 10 pounds of fat after four hours of dangerous surgery. Recovery is long and painful, and there is a death rate of 1 in 5,000 procedures.